Sunday, May 08, 2005

On religion

I think it is very difficult for people to digest Catholic beliefs. On many levels I can understand this and as for most things, I think this is rooted in a misunderstanding of what these teachings mean for Catholics.

There are many views of the Church that are difficult to digest, particularly in the context of a modern world. The question becomes for me, not so much who is right or wrong, but what is the nature of religion and its teachings? It almost becomes a very simple question: what is the point?

I have included in my blog some words on this, not my own, but of the Pope and from the Bible. For me, the nature of the answers is one focused on perspective. My perspectives are derived from faith. The Oxford English Dictionary defines faith as trust and confidence, to believe implicitly.

What is the point? To aspire towards ideals. To live our lives in a nature that exposes and emphasizes the best parts of who we are. To love unconditionally, to be compassionate, to forgive, no matter what. To improve and to challange ourselves.

Can we do this without faith? Can we do this without structured beliefs? Perhaps. But as I reflect on the secular world in which we live, I question this. It is not that I am transfixed on harshly examining the world; I believe there is a lot of beauty in a what we have and I cherish it. But I do not accept things as they are. I question our choices and I believe things could be much better if we focused more on our ideals. Do you?

No comments: