Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Movies.

My father loves "movies". I would like to say he loves "film", but he would make fun of me for suggesting such a thing. He would say "film" sounds like a complicated art form; it is about the pop corn, soda and keeping it simple.


Although our tastes are different, my appreciation of movies is indebted to my dad. When my brother and I were kids, he always took us to the theatre and we rented a lot. Keep in mind, my dad was very disciplined in his approach; I could not watch a movie until I finished my math problems (no, not for school, but the extra assignments he would get from textbooks he purchased outside of my curriculum). We watched a broad range and although some of them were horrible, we always managed to get a laugh or smile.


Some people make fun of movies. And maybe I am biased, but what I love about movies are their moments: to inspire as happens in my favorite, teach us about love, triumph over adversity, the complications and mixed emotions of situations . . . to name a few.


Thanks Dad. This one is for you.

No comments: