Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Affirmative Action.

On issues in politics, I tend to take opposing viewpoints. At times, this debate puts me in awkward situations, as I may argue points with which I do not agree. However, on some issues it is impossible for me to deviate from my true beliefs. Affirmative Action is among these subjects.


The passage of civil rights legislation in the early 60s did much to address over 300 years of discrimination faced by minorities in the United States. 40 years later, we still have a long way to go to ensure equal opportunity. Affirmative Action attempts to address the gaps of past discrimination by ensuring diversity.


The system has faults and abuses. However, we must look to continue and refine these processes to make up for our past mistakes.

No comments: