Monday, September 12, 2005

Heros.

It will be a tough act of his own to follow. Even in defeat, this run in New York was one of the most irresistible of his career, and when it ended, he made his way off the court and into the tunnel, where his 3-year-old son, Jaden Gil, was waiting for his customary postmatch hug.



"Daddy, who did you play with?" Jaden said.



It could have been a long answer, but Agassi chose to keep it simple. "Somebody with long hair," he said.



-- From the New York Times, September 12, 2005


This was a memorable US Open for me. Every year I make the pilgrimage to Flushing Meadow, but 2005 I will never forget.


Cheering on Andre in the 5th of his 3rd consecutive extended match. Watching a champion, the reason I started my life-long passion for this sport that has taught me about triumph and defeat. The next day, I rooted for Andre as I sat with my old high school tennis partner; we cheered him on in the Final, but in the end, his competition was too much.


But that is ok. Because the lesson here is not one about winning or losing. It's about personal grace. Family. Maturity.


Thanks for all the memories Andre. Here's to many more.

No comments: