Friday, April 16, 2010

Writing

Following adult confirmation in the Catholic Church during Easter of 2008, I became highly interested in the academic study of Theology. As part of confirmation one participates in detailed analysis of the doctrine of the Catholic faith; I loved all the debates, discussions and investigation of the source of the faith. I also always have had interests in the various religions of the world, but have had limited exposure to their tenets. So during that summer I made the decision to apply for a course in Theology, because it would achieve two goals. It would satisfy my developing interest in the study of religions and would also enhance my dream to become a writer.


Up until this point in my life, my previous academic training had been either completely in computer science or in business. Although this training has been key in my profession as a management consultant (advising companies on the implementation and design of web systems), it has not done much for my interests in social or political commentary or the expression of these ideas to paper.


Fast forward to April 2010; up to this point, I have written sixteen 2000-4000 word essays on various topics of theology . . . I am slowly making progress in expressing myself. I can see myself growing as a writer and beginning to find my voice; it is my hope that by the end of this course I will have developed a clear style of argumentation and can persuasively present my thoughts and ideas, whether on my favourite topics or ones much more abstract. This of course says nothing of the merits of studying theology, it is a real gift and opportunity – better understanding of our relationship with God makes us better people. I am afraid I cannot live to all the expectations of this knowledge, but I try my best.

No comments: